Java CardTM technology is the leading open, cross-platform and cross-vendor interoperable platform for smart cards and secure tokens. The latest version of the Java Card Platform Specification, version 2.2.2, is available for download. Version 2.2.2 introduces several optional additions to the award-winning Java Card platform that provide specific support for the latest contactless and ID cards. Java Card 2.2.2 also includes enhancements to align with future smart card and USIM card standards.
The Java Card Platform Specification includes three documents:
- The Java Card virtual machine specification provides the instruction set of the Java Card virtual machine, the supported subset of the JavaTM language and the file formats used to install applets and libraries into Java Card technology-enabled devices.
- The Java Card Runtime Environment Specification defines the necessary behavior of the runtime environment in any implementation of the Java Card technology. The Java Card runtime environment also includes the implementation of the Java Card virtual machine, the Java Card API classes, and runtime support services such as the selection and de-selection of applets.
- APIs for the Java Card platform complements the Java Card runtime environment specification and describes the application programming interface of the Java Card technology. It contains the class definitions required to support the Java Card virtual machine and the Java Card runtime environment.
Among the key benefits of Java Card 2.2.2 are improved interoperability for cards with multiple communication interfaces, richer cryptography, security features and standardized biometry support. The new version also provides a series of new APIs for a more memory-efficient application development. Java Card technology 2.2.2 is ready for the next generation of smart card standards, and is fully backward-compatible with previous versions.
New features in Java Card 2.2.2 :
- Utility APIs for TLV, BCD, short, int
- Management of multiple contact/contactless interfaces
- Support for up to 20 logical channels
- ISO7816-based extended length APDU support
- Additional cryptography algorithms : HMAC-MD5, HMAC-SHA1, SHA-256 and Korean Seed
- Signature with message recovery
- Partial message digest
- External memory access API
Compatibility with previous versions
Version 2.2.2 is an incremental update to the Java Card specification. As such it continues to provide the same benefits brought to developers and smart card issuers by versions 2.2 and 2.2.1, including the following:
- Support for latest SIM cards standards
- Advanced memory management
- Easier design and development of applications
- Strict compatibility testing
- Latest cryptography algorithms
- Backward compatibility with all previous versions
Applications written for previous versions of Java Card technology will run on Java Card 2.2.2 cards.
For more information on Java Card 2.2.2, access is available to its release notes, overview and download.
Read More ...