The industry's first workstation to bundle grid software is the Sun UltraTM 40 Workstation, which also comes with visualization capabilities, record setting price-performance  and a whisper quiet environment for desktops. Both 64-bit and 32-bit applications can be run at the same time on this workstation that supports a choice of operating systems, including SolarisTM 10 Operating System (Solaris OS), Red Hat and SuSE Linux as well as Microsoft Windows.
Features of Sun's latest workstation include:
- Up to two single- or dual-core AMD Opteron 200-series processors
- Up to eight DIMM slots for DDR-400 Registered ECC memory
- Up to four 7200 rpm SATA hard disk drives (80 GB, 250 GB or 500 GB)
- Two PCI slots (33 MHz, 32-bit)
- Two PCI-Express x 16 slots (with NVIDIA SLI support)
- Two PCI Express x four slots (x 8 mechanically)
- Eight USB 2.0 slots
- RoHS-compliant, PCI-Express NVIDIA Quadro graphics cards
- Gigabit Ethernet connectivity onboard
- SolarisTM 10 Operating System (Solaris OS) pre-installed
- Fully licensed versions of Sun JavaTM developer tools
- Sun N1TM Grid Engine software license. The software will be available via a free download from the Sun Web site.
Designed for customers who need to quickly and efficiently process
large and complex datasets, the Sun Ultra 40 Workstation is ideal for industries such as energy, manufacturing, Mechanical Computer Aided Design (MCAD), Mechanical Computer Aided Engineering (MCAE), government and scientific research. The enterprise-class, whisper-quiet Sun Ultra 40 Workstation is the first in the industry to bundle grid software and enable businesses to put unused compute cycles to work.
Combined with competitive pricing, a three-year base warranty, next-business-day support and a suite of pre-installed software including SunTM Studio 11, Sun JavaTM Studio Creator 2004Q2, Sun JavaTM Studio Enterprise 8 and NetBeansTM 4.1, the Sun Ultra 40 workstation offers among the best total costs of ownership (TCO) on workstations, Sun claims.
The Sun Ultra 40 Workstation is the RoHS-compliant 2-socket AMD Opteron processor-based follow-on to the Sun JavaTM Workstation W2100z. Customers should purchase a Type 7 country kit for use with their Sun Ultra 40 Workstation since the Type 6 country kit is not supported.
Read More ...