The Sun Service Optimized Data Center program is a new comprehensive roadmap of services and technologies designed to assist customers in deploying and managing IT services more effectively within their data centers. This program is targeted at new and existing Sun customers interested in transforming their data centers through highly automated service-oriented architectures (SOA).
Delivered through Sun's Client Solutions organization, the Sun Service Optimized Data Center program utilizes the SolarisTM 10 Operating System (Solaris OS) and Sun's N1TM Grid technologies. The aim of this program is to improve IT integration across data centers and business units.
An example of how this program works can be seen with EDS, who recently enabled elements of the program, including Sun's architecture and server consolidation methodologies, to revise and rationalize a large SAP infrastructure implementation.
"We were able to reduce our client's data center complexity, simplify systems management and administration tasks, and reduce overall maintenance costs by more than 40 percent and support costs by more than 30 percent," said Larry Lozon, vice president, EDS Hosting Services. "We also reduced the number of operating systems instances by approximately 30 percent, cutting management complexity by as much as 33 percent."
The Sun Service Optimized Data Center program begins with the development of a clearly defined architectural roadmap and then offers the building blocks necessary for customers to execute the transformation of their data centers and operations.
"This is another milestone in Sun's march towards reinventing the global delivery of services and solutions," said Ed Valdez, vice president, integrated solutions marketing, Sun. "This is the cornerstone of many programs we will launch in the coming year to help customers transform their data centers and reduce the overall cost and complexity of doing business."
Some of the solutions that have assisted customers in revitalizing their data centers operations include:
- Solaris 10 OS: The technology backbone of the new program, this solution can assist in improving performance, security, availability and manageability.
- SunSM Services: Offers industry-proven methodologies and tools in migration, managed services, automation, consolidation for vertically- or horizontally-scaled platforms and to deploy enterprise or service-oriented architectures.
- Use of Sun's Operations Management Capability Model: Based on principles from the Information Technology Infrastructure Library (ITIL) and the Controls Objective for Information and Related Technology (COBIT).
- Analysis and Methodologies: To simplify or reduce the number of operating system environments.
- Transformation of Operational Capabilities and Management Processes: The automation of provisioning, change control and IT agility that is driven by Solaris 10 OS and N1 Grid technologies; the choice of new business models such as utility and subscriptions models; and, ultimately, the initiation of architecture and IT governance processes across a business.
For more information about the Sun Service Optimized Data Center program, visit:
Read More ...