Configuration and Service Tracker version 1.5.1AMS (CST) is a
lightweight (low system impact) Web-enabled application that provides
continuous tracking of a monitored system's state and configuration
changes. The data resides locally on the customer's environment and, in
conjunction with the Availability Management System (AMS), CST will
provide data back to Sun, to allow for system availability reporting.
CST is a free tool that has been available since April 2002, and is
designed to run on SPARCR processor based systems running the
SolarisTM Operating Environment (Solaris OE). CST is being
officially launched so that it can be added to Sun's quoting tool, and
can be loaded during the Enterprise Installation Services (EIS) install
process for the Sun FireTM 6800, Sun FireTM 12K and Sun FireTM 15K
CST offers these new features and activities:
- Enables increased system availability through pro-active
- Detects and notifies selected personnel of system configuration
changes to hardware, software, patch and system parameter changes.
- Helps manage system uptime and MTBF.
- Permits Web-enabled user interaction using JavaTM applet and
JavaTM Plug-in software.
- Enables availability reporting within Sun.
- Detects, timestamps and records system events such as shutdown,
reboot, PANIC, sw/hw changes and multi-user availability.
- Event measurement precision enables five nines SunTM Sigma level
- Stores data in formatted text repository for easy export.
- Automated and secure data feed into Sun's Availability Measurement
- Offers menu-driven uptime statistics generation.
- Maintains automated backup of data.
- Uses a three-tier architecture.
- Small footprint, lightweight execution, highly persistent process and
small disk space requirement.
The ultimate goal is to be able to collect availability data from every
Sun system on the planet. The lightweight design of CST makes it well
suited for use across all customer segments. The initial focus will be
on loading CST during system installations will be on Sun Fire servers,
but CST adds value to all Sun systems.
CST provides the customer with the ability to track critical hardware
and software events that occur on monitored systems. This data can be
evaluated to assist in root cause analysis of system anomalies, track
system availability, or can be used to drive customer created reports
to effectively perform proactive maintenance.
In addition, event data is sent back to Sun, where availability
analysis and reporting across Sun's install base can be performed.
This data can be used by Sun to proactively address configuration
specific problems, add to Sun's knowledge base and to provide
serviceability information to the engineering teams.
Read More ...