The SunTM Open Net Environment (Sun ONE) makes it easier for
businesses to combine what they know about their customers with
Internet technologies to leverage their information assets into
new services online. The inside Sun ONE portal demonstrates the
Web-based customer-centric approach to doing business online.
The inside Sun ONE portal provides access to information and the latest
releases of Sun ONE products. The inside Sun ONE
community provides user feedback loops and a collaborative
environment for Sun ONE software users and Internet drivers.
The inside Sun ONE portal is designed to help Sun:
- Expand the scope of the customer relationship
- Provide more timely and flexible access to customized information and
- Drive costs out of marketing and sales processes
- To gain and act on "real-time" feedback from customers
Rhodes Klement, marketing chief for the Inside Sun ONE portal, says Sun
ONE is following the advice that Sun gives customers--work with an
iForceSM Partner, build on the Sun ONE platform and host with a
In the case of the inside Sun ONE portal, the project proceeded
through several basic steps:
1. Definition of business objectives: The inside Sun ONE user community
has two core objectives in serving its customers: First, aggregate
content and tools to help customers succeed and to help build a
better relationship with Sun ONE customers. In addition, to create a forum
and provide an environment where these Sun ONE customers can build
better relationships among themselves.
2. Rapid development of a working prototype: The iForce Partner, in
conjunction with Sun, was able to define, design and develop a
working prototype in just three weeks. This gave Sun ONE marketing
professionals a working model to evaluate against the objectives
that had been set for the project.
3. Aggregate and personalize all the required content: As an "edge
integration" technology, the Portal Server allows existing assets
to be aggregated and personalized for each individual in the
4. Build personalized, interactive channels within the portal:
Connecting with customers requires "closed loop" communications.
The inside Sun ONE user community
allows different methods of closed loop communication. There is an
opportunity for inferential analysis. By examining which channels are
subscribed to, it is possible to infer what content customers might
5. Refine the quality of individual channels within the portal: In
order to go beyond the inferential method in the previous step, the
portal includes a "Tell Us" channel, which is designed to collect
feedback from the user community. It helps elaborate the vision
for the future of the inside Sun ONE user community, and to gather
specific suggestions about what features to add.
Read More ...