Sun Ray Software is part of Oracles complete desktop-to-datacenter virtualization portfolio, allowing customers to efficiently and easily virtualize and manage their full software and hardware stack, from applications to disk.
Sun Ray Software 5.2 is the latest release of Oracles server-hosted desktop software. It is dramatically simpler to install and configure and features improved video, audio, smart card, Virtual Private Network (VPN), and network resiliency.
"Todays organizations are under more pressure than ever to maximize efficiencies, while minimizing costs," said Wim Coekaerts, Oracles senior vice president, Linux and Virtualization Engineering. "With Sun Ray Software, IT can centralize the management and maintenance of thousands of thin clients reducing cost and complexity, while enhancing security. Innovations in Sun Ray Software 5.2 make it even easier to install and update, while delivering an improved end user audio and video experience."
Easier Deployment and an Enhanced Audio and Video Experience
Oracles Sun Ray Software virtually eliminates maintenance, upgrade, operational costs and security vulnerabilities associated with traditional desktop environments by centralizing management, data, and applications on a server-hosted environment.
Sun Ray Software enables users to access virtual Windows, Linux, and Oracle Solarisdesktop environments through any combination of Sun Ray Clients, PCs or Macs.
Sun Ray Software interoperates with other virtualization technologies and desktop brokers.
New enhancements in Sun Ray Software 5.2 include:
- Simplified installation and deployment: an integrated installer allows Sun Ray Software to be downloaded and deployed in one, easy-to-install package.
- Richer multimedia experience: delivers a complete, optimized Windows Media Player experience for Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 that is equal to a standard PC. Optimized multimedia delivery to the local client provides enhanced network utilization and scalability.
- Real-time audio: provides USB headset support for specific devices; Appliance Link Protocol dynamically optimizes the audio channels to meet application demands, improving audio quality and reducing network bandwidth consumption by 92 percent.
- Oracle Solaris IPMP support for greater resiliency and load spreading: enables users to leverage Oracle Solaris IP Multipathing (IPMP) to deploy multiple network paths to the server infrastructure for network fault tolerance and load spreading.
- Sun Ray Client operating software enhancements: additional smart card support, including cards that operate at the ISO-7816 defined voltages of 1.8V, 3V, or 5 Volts; and extended VPN options, including support for Cisco VPN with hybrid authentication.
Things have also changed for System Administrators. The Sun Ray Webadmin GUI is changed to the Oracle look-and-feel .
The single installer (the utsetup command) installs the entire Sun Ray Software product on the Sun Ray server. It installs the Sun Ray server, the Windows connector, the VMware View connector and the smart card services (based on PC/SC-lite). After installing the packages, the utsetup command steps through the configuration process. A reboot of the Sun Ray server between installation of the packages and configuration of the Sun Ray server is not necessary anymore.
Another change important for the SysAdmin is the Firmware provisioning process. In previous versions, there were two versions of the firmware delivered: non-GUI firmware and a GUI firmware. In this release, there is one firmware version and the GUI must be enabled through configuration.
Other changes visible for the end-user are:
- Improved performance for video and audio streams on Windows XP and Windows 2003
- Audio optimization which helps for reduced bandwidth and increased scalability
- USB headset support for a specific list of USB headsets.
- Better multi-monitor support and enhancements for VPN and Networking.
The Sun Ray Server software is supported on the following operating systems platforms:
- Solaris 10 5/09 or later on SPARC and x86 platforms
- Solaris 10 5/09 or later on SPARC and x86 platforms with Solaris Trusted Extensions
- Oracle Linux 5.5 (32-bit and 64-bit)
- Oracle Linux 5.6 (32-bit and 64-bit)
Installation and Configuration Guide
Oracles Sun Ray Clients
Sun Ray Software Datasheet
Oracle Sun Ray Software 5.2 can be downloaded [url "http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/server-storage/sunrayproducts/downloads/index.html "here".] Terms, conditions and restrictions apply."]
[url "http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/E22662_01/ "Documentation"]
Read More ...