The August 2010 release of the "NetBeans Platform 6.9 Developer's Guide" is a a hands-on guide leading readers through the development of a complete Swing application built on the platform.
"I believe, the strength of the book: its incremental approach," writes Geertjan Wielenga, who assisted with editing Jürgen Petri's English translation of a Germany Developer's Notebook on the NetBeans platform. "Often you're first told how to do something the wrong way, followed by an explanation of the alternative/better/right way to do the same thing. I think that especially the Lookup and Nodes chapters are very good in that respect."
The 288-page book helps readers create robust Swing applications by providing in-depth coverage of all the features of the NetBeans Platform 6.9. The book follows through the creation of a complete sample application, chapter by chapter. Each chapter introduces a number of new concepts relating to a theme and then shows how to implement the concepts in the application. Chapters are divided as follows:
- Chapter 1: Modules
- Chapter 2: Forms
- Chapter 3: Window System
- Chapter 4: Lookup
- Chapter 5: Actions
- Chapter 6: Nodes and Explorer Views
- Chapter 7: File System
- Chapter 8: Data System
- Chapter 9: Dialogs
- Chapter 10: Settings
- Chapter 11: Help
- Chapter 12: Branding
- Chapter 13: Distribution and Updates
With the help of example code and screenshots, the book offers an easier understanding of how to use the transparent, open source, extensible, and free framework that is the NetBeans Platform. A task manager is provided at the end of the book, which can be adapted for specific user's purposes.
The book is targeted at developers familiar with Java and Swing who would like to use a framework as the basis of their Swing application. No knowledge of the NetBeans Platform is required to successfully work through this book.
Upon completion, readers will have been presented information on how to:
- Reuse the NetBeans window system for Swing applications, rather than creating their own
- Explore the NetBeans module system and utilize it effectively in large applications
- Use the standard parts of the NetBeans Platform rather than creating their own menu bars, toolbars, and other typical features
- Handle the display of large sets of data via the NetBeans Nodes API, together with the NetBeans Platform's advanced Swing components
- Get to know all of the main NetBeans APIs and utilize them for developing applications that suit their needs
- Visualize their data quickly and powerfully via the NetBeans Visual Library API
- Prototype their application and get very complex data structures displayed in interesting ways in no time
- Create applications that can be easily deployed to Windows, Linux, and Mac
- Build their understanding of the nuances of the NetBeans Platform as you create an application from scratch
- More Information -
NetBeans Platform 6.9 Developer's Guide from Packt Publishing
NetBeans IDE 6.9.1 Now Available for Download
Eclipse RCP vs. NetBeans Platform
The NetBeans IDE 6.9 Release - First Under Oracle's Leadership
Read More ...