Sun Studio 12 Update 1 is the latest version of Sun's compilers and performance tools designed for the C, C++ and Fortran developer communities. As we mentioned when it was released in June, this update delivers new optimizations and features for OpenSolaris, Solaris and the latest Linux operating systems. Sun Studio 12 Update 1 is a major upgrade of the tool set that experienced its last major upgrade two years ago.
"Sun Studio 12 Update 1 software is not only significant in helping developers take applications to the next level of performance, but it is also leading the industry with tooling that allows developers to more easily create parallel and concurrent software applications on today's and tomorrow's platforms," said Jim McHugh, Sun's vice president of data center software marketing. "With more than 20,000 developers participating in our Express and Early Access programs, this release is full of functionality driven by and for the developer community."
- C, C++ and Fortran Compilers: Optimizing compilers, with auto-parallelization features and OpenMP 3.0 directives, for Intel x86, AMD x86, Sun UltraSPARC and Fujitsu SPARC64-based systems. Numerous SPEC world records have been announced with OpenSolaris on the latest Sun platforms.
- Debuggers: Multi-thread aware code-level and memory debuggers available via the command-line, IDE and new standalone graphical debugger dbx
- Thread Analyzer: Thread analysis tool that identifies race and deadlock conditions in multithreaded code. The Thread Analyzer can detect data races that occur in code that is written using the POSIX thread API, Solaris OS thread API, OpenMP directives, Sun parallel directives, Cray parallel directives or a mix of these.
- Performance Analyzer: Application profiling and analysis tool that identifies performance hotspots in single, multithreaded and distributed MPI applications. The Performance Analyzer collects data using timing metrics, hardware counters, memory allocation metrics and synchronization delay metrics. It enables profiling of production codes without recompiling.
- DLight: New tool that unifies applications and system profiling using DTrace (dynamic tracing) technology on Solaris / OpenSolaris platforms
- Compiler, debugger and profiling support for OpenMP 3.0
- New Next-Generation IDE based on NetBeans 6.5.1: Based on the NetBeans project, an advanced IDE specifically geared for C/C++ developers. It offers dynamic language-aware editor (code completion, syntax highlighting, code folding, etc.), dynamic class-browser and Makefile support - all geared toward improving developer productivity in writing code
Sun Studio 12 Update 1 is supported on:
- Solaris 10 (SPARC, x86)
- OpenSolaris 2009.06 (SPARC, x86), OpenSolaris 2008.11 (x86)
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 (x86)
- SuSE Linux Enterprise Server 10 (x86)
- CentOS 5 (x86)
Sun Studio 12 software is freely available at no charge. However, there are a variety of support options bundled with Sun Studio 12 software. These offerings have been tailored to fit the enterprise developer's needs. They include traditional product support, educational credits, product updates and specialized developer programming 'how to' code level support.
The media for all three versions: Solaris OS on SPARC, Solaris OS on x64/x86 and Linux are contained on the DVD Media. Users are able to install the software on the platform of their choice. The Media Kits can be ordered and will be shipping in September, Sun reports.
Sun Senior Staff Engineer Darryl Gove recently detailed Sun Studio 12 Update 1 optimizations for AMD procesors, noting: "Two years ago, when Sun Studio 12 came out, chips that could support two threads were starting to become common. Now we're looking at that being a minimal thread count, and we're starting to see the ramp up of threads that can support more than 4 threads - the latest AMD processors support six threads per chip. In tandem with the growth in thread count, we're seeing much more interest in developing applications that can use this core count. Sun is fortunate that with Solaris and Sun Studio, we have a very comprehensive, and long standing, investment in multiprocessor technology: from virtualisation, through Zones, to scalability to huge core counts. ... Sun Studio has always been on the leading edge of developing parallel applications."
Sun Studio 12 Update 1
Sun Studio C, C++ & Fortran Compilers and Tools
Sun Studio Downloads
Sun Documentation Collection for Sun Studio 12 Update 1 - includes installation guide, release notes, user's guides
Sun Studio benchmarks
Darryl Gove's blog on Sun Studio 12 Update 1
Read More ...