Sun provides a detailed walkthrough for Getting Started with the Sun xVM Ops Center 2.1 and describes the many tasks users can perform with this management tool. The Sun xVM Ops Center is more than just a data center. Learning the ropes for using the xVM Ops Center as a life-cycle tool, allows users from a single interface to discover, provision, patch, manage, and monitor multiple data centers.
The Sun xVM Ops Center comes with remote management capabilities that may be used to increase availability and utilization and minimize downtime. When users learn how to apply the interface, they can view each of the resources in the data center, everything from physical systems (x86 and SPARC) and operating systems to Solaris Containers and zones.
With the xVM Ops Center, users can use the console to complete the following tasks:
- Manage physical systems in a data center
- Provision bare metal systems with Solaris or Linux operating systems
- Provision systems with Solaris or Linux operating systems
- Automate patching and updates for Solaris and Linux OS
- Manage and monitor your gear
- Generate a variety of reports
The Getting Started article provides Content and Description about the xVM Ops Center and the various functions:
- About SPARC Enterprise M-Series Server Support
- Tasks in Site Preparation
- Preparing a System for Sun xVM Ops Center Installation
- Connection Modes
- Logging into Sun xVM Ops Center
- Using the Browser User Interface
This content for Getting Started with the xVM Ops Center is also available via printable link.
Provided are also reference material that addresses the following:
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Sun xVM Technology
- Release Notes
- Supported Browsers
- Supported Systems
- Matrix Network Port
- Requirements and Protocols: Network Switch Configuration
- Public API
- Man Pages
- Vendor Download Sites
- Media Library
About xVM Ops Center
The xVM Ops Center architecture is made up of three parts, which are clearly outlined in the article:
- Enterprise Controller
- Proxy Controller
- Managed Gear
With the Proxy Controllers, users can scale the xVM Ops Center. According to wikis.sun.com, it is recommended that when designing a deployment architecture: "Before you install the software, you should determine the deployment architecture that works best for your environment."
Getting Started: Sun xVM Ops Center
Getting Started: Sun xVM Ops Center - Printable
Sun xVM Ops Center 2.1 Released
Commercial Release of Sun xVM Ops Center 1.0
Sun xVM Ops Center 1.1 Released
Read More ...