Java screams on Sun UltraSPARC T2, declares David Dagastine in his October 9th blog, noting, "The Sun SPARC Enterprise T5120 and Sun SPARC Enterprise T5220 servers equipped with a single UltraSPARC T2 processor at 1.4GHz, delivered a World Record single-chip result of 192,055 SPECjbb2005 bops, 24,007 SPECjbb2005 bops/JVM. An average of 464 Watts of power to obtain this result. This result beats the previous SPECjbb2005 single-chip world record by 71%."
SPECjbb2005 (Java Business Benchmark) measures the performance of a Java implemented application tier (server-side Java). The benchmark is based on the order processing of a wholesale supplier application. The metrics given are number of SPECjbb2005 bops (Business Operations per Second) and SPECjbb2005 bops/JVM (bops per JVM instance).
- The Sun SPARC Enterprise T5120 and T5220 servers obtained a single socket world record result of 192,055 Business Operations per Second.
- Compared to the IBM p570, equipped with four of the latest dual core 4.7GHz Power6 processors and running AIX 5.3, the single processor Sun SPARC Enterprise T5120 and T5220 deliver 9 percent higher throughput, while consuming over 2x less power. The T5120 uses 4x less space while the T5220 takes up 2x less space. As a result, Sun's new UltraSPARC T2 servers deliver 2.5X higher Performance per Watt. The T5120 also delivers over 9.5x SWaP (server efficiency) while the T5220 delivers nearly 5x SWaP.
- Compared to a 4-way IBM p505Q, equipped with the latest quad core Power 5+ processor and running AIX 5.3, the Sun SPARC Enterprise T5120 delivers 3x higher throughput and over 2x higher Performance per Watt and SWaP. The T5220 also delivers 3x higher throughput and over 2X higher Performance per Watt.
- Compared to the HP Integrity rx2660, equipped with the latest dual core Itanium 2 processors and running HP-UX, the Sun SPARC Enterprise T5120 and T5220 deliver nearly 2.5x higher throughput while consuming 1.2x less power. The T5120 also uses 2x less space. As a result, the T5120 delivers nearly 3X higher Performance per Watt and 5.7x SWaP. The T5220 delivers nearly 3X higher Performance per Watt and SWaP.
- The Sun HotSpot JVM sets a new standard for scalability by demonstrating near linear scalability and fully leveraging the 64 hardware threads of the UltraSPARC T2 processor, and running up to 8x more threads than the competition.
Differences recorded between the T5120 and T5220 were found in:
Space (RU): T5120 = 1, while the T5220 = 2
SWaP: T5120 = 413.9 and the T5220 = 207
These results on the
Sun SPARC Enterprise T5120 and Sun SPARC Enterprise T5220 are accessible from the Sun CoolThreads Server Benchmarks page that also includes a competitive comparisons table showing IBM Power 6 570, IBM p5+ 505Q and HP rx2660 results.
Read More ...