SunTM Studio 12 is Sun's latest version of its compilers and performance tools designed for the C, C++ and Fortran developer communities. Accompanying its release, Sun also is offering SunSM Developer Service Plans and Sun Software Services Plans for Sun Studio 12, and announced the end of life for Sun Studio 9 software.
Sun Studio 12 software is supported on the SolarisTM 9 and 10 Operating System (Solaris OS) for SPARCR and x86/x64 Platforms, including AMD Opteron 32-bit and 64-bit processors. Linux distributions supported include SuSE Linux Enterprise Server 9 and Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4.
This latest software features:
- Next-generation IDE based on NetBeansTM 5.5.1 software that offers a dynamic language-aware editor for code completion, syntax highlighting, code folding, etc.; dynamic class-browser; makefile support, among other functions.
- Optimization for the latest multi-core SPARC and x64/x86 systems
- Improved software optimization technology across all supported platforms (Solaris OS and Linux OS SPARC and x86/x64 systems), and additional tuning for Fujitsu OPL and UltraSPARCR T2 chipsets. This helps improve the runtime performance of the compiled binary or application.
- Parallelizing C, C++ and Fortran compilers to optimize multi-core architectures. Auto-parallelization allows compilers to multi-thread single-threaded code.
- Enhanced GCC and popular open source frameworks compatibility such as BOOST and LOKI.
- Thread Analyzer that detects data races and deadlocks in multi-threaded applications. It points to non-deterministic or incorrect execution, detects bugs difficult to detect by examination and points out actual and potential deadlock situations.
- More extensive data collection
Sun Studio 12 software also offers new features for SPARC and x86/x64 that include support for SSE3 and GCC/ICC compatible MMX (FP) intrinsics. With SPARC, users will receive support for SPARC64 VI and UltraSPARC T2; new math and VIS support for SPARC64 VI, including support for floating point and multiply-add.
The newly announced Service Plans for Sun Studio 12 include:
- Sun Software Service Plan: Choice of a 1 or 3 year(s) plan that assists with bug escalation and offers product phone support.
- Sun Developers Service Plan: Choice of 1 or 3 year(s) plan that also offers bug escalation and product phone support, and additionally includes educational credits and programming 'how to' code level support.
Sun will be phasing out Sun Studio 9 software along with its Developer Service Plans and Sun Software Service Plans. The last order date is schedule for August 24, 2007, with the last ship date set for November 23, 2007.
Sun Studio 12 English Only Electronic Software is now freely available for download. Its Mulitlanguage Physical and Electronic Software download is expected to be available late summer 2007.
For a full list of new features in Sun Studio 12, see documentation online.
Read More ...