Sun JavaTM System Portal Server 7.1 Update 1 includes a new feature that allows portal users to create communities with controlled access. This version also has a new administration framework that includes a new Admin Console and Admin Portlets, support for multiple portals, Struts/JSF Support, Interportlet Communication, System Monitoring and UBT.
The collaboration features of Sun Java System Portal Server 7.1 Update 1 include the communities feature, File Sharing, Wiki Sites/Portlets, Polls, RSS/Blog Read Portlet, Community Calendar and Federated Search.
Other features are:
- Support for multi-locales on a single instance, allows multiple languages running on the same server (especially appealing to global enterprises)
- FatWire Spark pCM "full" License via OEM included for content management functionality
- Enterprise Integration Portlets for Siebel, PeopleSoft, Oracle and SAP
- Enhancements in Secure Remote Access and Mobile Access
- Java Studio Creator Support for portlet development, featuring drag and drop simplicity
- Identity-based content delivery
- Users can create wikis from within a portlet and edit them using a toolbar
- Files can be shared among group members and calendars can be updated
With the Sun Java System Portal Server, services can be deployed securely to any device with full mobility. Identity-based information exchange is enabled through community and collaboration capabilities. The modules are easy to use and manage, reducing administrative workload.
The Sun Java System Portal Server requires a Sun comparable workstation or server (SPARC or x86 that runs Solaris or Red Hat Enterprise Linux) and is also supported on Microsoft Windows products. Sun Java System Portal Server 7 is licensed per CPU or per socket (includes a restricted use licenses of Sun Java System Access Manager, Sun Java System Directory Server, Sun Java System Application Server, and Sun Java System Web Server).
Customers with version 6 of the portal server and qualifying support contracts are entitled to upgrade to 1 CPU of Sun Java System Portal Server 7 for each CPU they've purchased of Portal 6. Any additional CPUs they require will have to be purchased at the new $57k per CPU price.
Read More ...